As the global COVID-19 pandemic threatened to overwhelm our national healthcare capacity and pushed our supply chains to the brink of failure, KiZAN teamed with Microsoft to deploy an innovative solution that is proving to increase the safety of our front-line healthcare workers and preserve vast quantities of vital personal protective equipment.
Virtual Rounding enables hospitals to protect their frontline workers while ensuring they can continue to provide a high standard of care during the COVID-19 crisis. By enabling secure video conferencing through Microsoft Teams, direct patient contact is minimized, protecting the frontline worker and reducing the risk of spread. Utilization of video conferencing also reduces the demand on personal protective equipment which is in short supply.
“A heartfelt thank you to the many partners who have helped us with emergency licensing, equipment, bandwidth and consulting expertise to support our front-line heroes with virtual round solutions. You are helping save lives and precious equipment…KiZAN Technologies has been amazing. Thanks to all of you.
—Jack King, Chief Technology Officer, Broward Health
Virtual Rounding Explained
Virtual Rounding is a framework, developed by Microsoft and open-sources, which allows healthcare organizations to provide voice and video-based health consultations with COVID-19 positive patients. These video-based consultations allow doctors and staff to reduce their usage of necessary PPE and to also reduce the risk of exposure, providing potentially life-saving functionality. iPads or similar tablet devices are placed in patient rooms, and providers can then interact with the patients via the solution from approved locations and devices outside of the patient’s room.
By leveraging Microsoft Teams, Power Apps, Power Automate, and Azure AD provisioning models, customers can quickly spin up room and provider accounts, and schedule meetings between the providers and patients.
- KiZAN deployed the solution to Broward Health to prepare for the first infected cruise line passengers disembarking in Florida.
- The framework has been deployed to over 3,500 active seats by KiZAN.
- On average, Virtual Rounding eliminates at least 3 in-person visits per-day per-patient room, limiting exposure
- On average, 6 pieces of PPE per day per room are saved.
- In one month, KiZAN’s Virtual Rounding implementations will have saved 180,000 pieces of PPE during the pandemic (based off rooms covered in the first 20 days of KiZAN being engaged with Microsoft on this effort).
- Through all of April, KiZAN deployed this solution for 3-4 customers a week, and continues to support the framework with additional customers.
- KiZAN has submitted 100’s of lines of code to the Microsoft solution and provided architectural assistance to the Microsoft team iterating the framework.
At no cost to the customer, KiZAN has invested over 100 hours of consultants’ time to organizations deploying and customizing the solution for their unique use case scenarios. KiZAN has also leveraged Account Executives and channel partners to establish relationships with hospitals, to assist with contracts, and to acquire the necessary equipment for rooms. Additionally, KiZAN consultants have volunteered countless hours of personal time to ensure the successful implementation of the solution across multiple clients.
KiZAN has also deployed an iteration that allows family members to virtually visit sick loved ones, easing the stress of patients and families alike.
Virtual Rounding continues KiZAN’s strong tradition of innovative technical leadership for healthcare providers
KiZAN has a proven history of providing industry-leading solutions to the healthcare industry. Our deep knowledge of required functionalities and compliance standards allowed us to rapidly deploy this solution to impacted healthcare providers.
Outside of Virtual Rounding, KiZAN Technologies has demonstrated that we are a trusted advisor throughout the healthcare industry by providing unique and innovative solutions to multiple healthcare providers throughout 2020.